11 July 2016

Gender Interview

Transcript

Me: Hello

Dagan: Hi

Me: Alright so I am talking with Dagan Pielstick. He is a male, so he is a different gender than me.

Dagan: Yes

Me: Alright. So how important is clothing in your life?

Dagan: Um,

Taylor: You might be naked without them

Dagan: That's true. .... You wear it.

Me: How much time and thought do you give what you will wear on an average day?

Dagan: Thirty seconds; it takes that long to go through all three drawers?

Me: What do you hope to accomplish by being dressed in a certain way?

Dagan: To look respectable enough, with function.

Me: Um, do you think that will change in the future?

Dagan: Not much.

Me: Do you dress to please yourself or others?

Dagan: No idea? It does not go through my head when I get dressed in the morning.

Me: Um, how much thought do you put into it if you are going to, say, a job interview, or a performance?

Dagan: Just dress up a little bit more.

Me: When you go on a date, do you change how you are going to get dressed?

Dagan: Not much; I try to keep consistent.

Me: When you purchase new clothing, do you look for a certain style or look?

Dagan: I have no clue.

Me: What do you do when you go shopping?

Dagan: Take my sister along. Not joking.

Me: I know. I know that. Your other sister. Anyhow. Do you have any looks that you are going for?

Dagan: Respectful engineer?

Me: Which you find where? Or what does that look like?

Dagan: Roughly kakhis and a polo. Always.

Me: And what about your shoes?

Dagan: My sister has chosen out my shoes and they are still living.

Me: Alright. Any other questions....?

Taylor: Suppose you were a pokemon trainer trouncing out in the tall grass; how would you dress so you could last a long time?

END


The most revealing part of the interview was how much was not said during the interview. Before and after the interview, my brother discussed more aspects of clothing than he revealed during the recorded portion of the interview. Before the interview he discussed how shopping experiences went and after he explained how he got to his professional engineer look. I think a major player in the way this interview played out is the cultural expectation of men to not care what they look like and not put too much thought into what they wear.

While I do not fully hold up to the cultural expectations of women in regards to getting ready in the morning, I do think about what I’m wearing for a while in the morning. I think about what the weather is going to be, what activities I am doing in the day and what will be appropriate for that, what I want to wear later in the week so I don’t dirty the undershirt early, and then I start thinking about what matches and what I want to wear.

I mostly dress for myself, meaning I choose clothes that I like and enjoy, but I somedays I choose to wear something to present a certain image to someone, like a more professional look for my boss on certain occasions. After learning how to sew and about clothing, I have formed stronger opinions on what I want from my clothing. I have not yet achieved those goals, but it is something that I am actively working towards.

No comments:

Post a Comment