06 April 2015

Endeavors in Italy

I have not been writing much on my blogs while I am in Italy because I am being distracted by working on writing. It is a passion that I have had for a long time, but, as is clearly evident from my blog, I find it difficult to complete things I start on. I have many story ideas in the working and many that I wrote down in the past. My brain dreams in complex plots usually.

Anyhow, I was watching all of the Harry Potter movies around the time that I left for Italy. A character I love (and moderately relate to) is Severus Snape. I was only mindlessly perusing on Pinterest and I kept seeing snide comments on how horrible of a character he was and that what he managed to do (being almost as key as Dumbledore and Harry in causing the demise of Voldemort) really didn't change any of that. I felt a little indignation from that because I was realizing more similarities between him and I. Then I stumbled upon an old fanfiction that I started that was about Snape had he been sorted into Gryffindor to begin with.

http://alicebeckstrom.tumblr.com/post/85813971463
I toyed with the idea of writing it again and showing those people the perspective of a character that was in need of being redeemed by love, to show that he really could be a different person with Lily's love. And that people always need to be given the ability to change. Then I realized that it would not be compatible with his character at the start of first year to be sorted into Slytherin, so I began to devise changes in events that would change his character enough to merit him a Gryffindor. I also decided that I didn't want to mess around so much with what happened in the "cannon" that I modified many things to make it work.


Then I remembered that it is very common for me to do something like this: have an idea, outline the basic plot line, write many pages, and then stop. I decided that I would not allow myself to do that again. I have been working a little bit every day trying to make it come together so that I can successfully follow this idea through.

Of course working on a project like this fulfills the random urges I feel to write and then I don't come and write on my blog. I won't say this is going to change any time soon, but I felt like I should share that fact. I am learning a lot of plotting skills and it helps because there is already a set world and characters and so I am forced to work within a certain structure rather than changing facts to suit my fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment